Monday, April 25, 2011

Anthropological research on hazards and disasters

  This reading basically viewed natural disasters in an anthropological perspective. In most cases, natural disasters have been interpreted in a scientific way. On news, scientists or researchers showed up and explained the main cause of disasters. Truly, disasters are also related to humanity and largely affect our life. There are three major trends in anthropological research; 1) behavioral responses approach, 2) social change approach, 3)political economic / environmental approach. 
 In spite of technological advancement, humans can't manipulate nature. This article also criticized that technology isn't well-prepared to prevent natural disasters. Honestly speaking, it is very difficult to predict when they will hit us. As a matter of fact, humans endeavored to protect themselves from the hazards. Unfortunately, it did not work well on 3.11 incident. The force was very rapid and powerful. After the disasters, society transforms and evolves. At first, life style will rapidly change. People who were previously victimized would be more cautious and try to keep in an order  as I think. 
   I realized that disasters are quite complex. It comes up with sociopsychological questions and requires knowledge with wider spectrums of fields. If I hear disaster hit one specific region, I only concerned aobut the negative notions such as loss of life, family, and shelters. On the contrary, there are some positive sides after the disaster. In fact, political and business are largely engaged in this matter. Actually victims all kinds of supports which can be psychological or economical and new materials. I strongly agree on the quote "Disaster boom economy". Once a company helped one damaged regions, its reputation will go up and take economical advantages especially profits. Also, damaged places need more workers in order to recover their places. Currently, Fukushima tries hire works from South Korea with paying enough wages, but Korean strongly oppose to send those workers. Despite aftershock from natural disasters, business still goes on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment